ESL Forums
Simple Present vs. Present Continuous - Printable Version

+- ESL Forums (http://www.summit-esl.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Study Corner (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Grammar (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Simple Present vs. Present Continuous (/thread-8.html)

Simple Present vs. Present Continuous - Johanne - 03-07-2013 12:38 AM

English has two basic ways to talk about present events: Simple Present and Present Continuous.

Simple Present

Repeated Actions: Use the Simple Present to express the idea that an action is repeated or usual. The action can be a habit, a hobby, a daily event, a scheduled event or something that often happens. It can also be something a person often forgets or usually does not do.

Examples:
  • I play the piano.
  • She works at the library.

Facts or Generalizations: The Simple Present can also indicate the speaker believes that a fact was true before, is true now, and will be true in the future. It is not important if the speaker is correct about the fact. It is also used to make generalizations about people or things.

Examples:
  • Dogs are noisy.
  • The moon is made of green cheese.

Now (Non-Continuous Verbs): Sometimes speakers use the Simple Present to express the idea that an action is happening or is not happening now. This can only be done with Non-continuous Verbs and certain Mixed Verbs.

Examples:
  • I need a ride.
  • She likes chocolate ice cream.

Present Continuous

Now: Use the Present Continuous with Continuous Verbs to express the idea that something is happening now, at this very moment. It can also be used to show that something is not happening now.

Examples:
  • It’s raining.
  • The baby is sleeping.

Longer Actions in Progress Now: In English, now can mean “this second,” “today,” “this month,” “this year,” “this century” and so on. Sometimes we use the Present Continuous to say that we are in the process of doing a longer action which is in progress; however, we might not be doing it at this exact second.

Examples:
  • I am studying English.
  • We’re working on an important project at my company.

Near Future: Sometimes, speakers use the Present Continuous to indicate that something will or will not happen in the near future.

Examples:
  • She’s having a party this weekend.
  • We’re going on vacation.

Repetition and Irritation with “Always”: The Present Continuous with words such as “always” or “constantly” expresses the idea that something irritating or shocking often happens. Notice that the meaning is like Simple Present but with negative emotion. Remember to put the words “always” or “constantly” between “be” and “verb+ing.”

Examples:
  • He’s always interrupting the teacher.
  • They’re constantly complaining about high prices.

Note:
It is important to remember that Non-Continuous Verbs cannot be used in any “continuous” tenses. Also, certain “non-continuous” meanings for Mixed Verbs cannot be used in “continuous” tenses. To express the idea of “happening now,” you must use Simple Present.
  • I am liking this music. (INCORRECT)
  • I like this music. (CORRECT)